This was another great BEA. I saw a few people that I only see when I go and met some new awesome book-loving people. If you ended up here after meeting me in line, welcome!
Some highlights of the show:
- Getting up at 6 am to stand in line to get in… Ok, that’s not a highlight, more of a tradition.
- Meeting some of my favorite authors, including Kendare Blake, Diana Peterfreund, David Levithan, Gene Luen Yang, Oliver Jeffers, Elizabeth Wein, Paolo Bacigalupi and Robin Wasserman (sadly not Holly Black).
- I actually met Oliver Jeffers twice! After also meeting him in Toronto in January… I may be stalking him a little.
- Robyn Schneider is as smiley and friendly as on Youtube. 🙂
- I met Grumpy Cat! She may have had the longest line at BEA.
- I met Elizabeth Wein by accident at the Disney booth. (Me (seeing someone holding an arc): “Are you already giving out Rose Under Fire?!” Staff member: “Um… no… that’s the author.”) She was nice, and wearing a spitfire necklace.
- Chatting with strangers in line.
- I got a balloon dog. I named him Charlie.
- Spotting Mo Willems at Penn Station while waiting for my train. Almost screaming his name like he’s a rock star.
- Bringing home over 100lbs of books. (One of my suitcases broke and could no longer be pulled. I have a very nice boyfriend.)
Some reactions to finding out I’m Canadian:
- “That reminds me that I want to meet Gordon Korman. Is he here?” (Yes he was there.)
- “Montreal is beautiful! But I couldn’t live there. I’m from Texas, it would kill me.”
- “That’s sooooo far.” (Not really)
- “Oh, I like poutine!”
- “My cousin is a librarian in Ottawa, do you know him?” (No, there are almost 400 librarians working in my library; I don’t even know all of them.)
- “I wish our malls were underground.” (Yeah, that’s cool… but New York’s subway is way better.)
- And an employee at The Empire State Building was adorably excited to be able to talk to me in French.
The 10 BEA books I’m most excited about reading:
- Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund
- Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
- The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider
- The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
- The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
- Invisibility by Andrea Cramer and David Levithan
- The Lost Kingdom by Matthew J. Kirby
- Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
- The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fford
- Zombie Baseball Beatdown by Paolo Bacigalupi